Friday, July 14, 2017

ISTE17 - A Focus on Students

I focused almost exclusively on talking to students at ISTE in San Antonio, TX. The results, 35 interviews in all, are coming together in this website, Periscoping ISTE17, and all I can say is these kids are amazing.
It was a joy to interview these kids and in the beginning I thought I was giving them an opportunity to explain their project or poster and what they've learned. But, it became more than that. By listening to these kids who are so similar to the kids we teach, I found out more than just what they learned; more than just the product of their learning. By listening to the students describe their learning in their own words I discovered how they learned. I glimpsed the way they perceived, digested and transformed the teachers' instruction into knowledge of their own.

So, I didn't attend as many official, sit-down sessions at ISTE17. But, by focusing on students at ISTE and capturing it all on Periscope, I can take their voices back to my district so others can listen to these kids talk about coding and STEM projects and how their teachers inspired them to read about history and architecture using Minecraft and Glogster.   It makes me even more sure that it is worth it because this is what happens when you take a risk, teach differently, and trust your students.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! You must be exhausted! You got to talk to so many student leaders! Thanks for empowering their student voices for those at #ISTE17 and #notatISTE17 through your Periscope interviews! Love that they were leading the learning for educators through their student showcase. I work with my districts to encourage a teacher to share at our Student Showcase in Michigan at the State Capitol annually and it is always such a rewarding experience for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lauren! I didn't realize how tired I was until I got home. The whole experience was just fantastic! Hearing how students understand and express what they've learned is like a window into what made the most sense to them.
    I would LOVE to see what you and your teachers are doing with Student Showcases in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete